A year ago casino magnate Steve Wynn warned that Las Vegas was a “target city” and disclosed a raft of new security measures, including invisible metal detectors and specially trained guards, designed to prevent a large-scale attack.
Whether those measures would have prevented Sunday’s rampage on the strip in which 59 people were killed is unknown. The gunman shot concertgoers from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino, a hotel complex owned by MGM Resorts International, a rival of Wynn Resorts Ltd.
But the shooting, which also injured more than 500 people, could spur casino operators to think more like Wynn, who had been dismissed as “obsessed” about security before Sunday’s massacre, a rival casino executive said.
“This could be a turning point,” the executive said, speaking on condition of anonymity because security measures are private. “Every management team is going to move this up to the top of the list.”
A representative of MGM could not be reached for comment.
Hotels already have extensive security for gambling, including dogs that patrol the casinos to sniff for drugs and bombs, and significant security staff that constantly monitors the actions of people, including undercover security.
In an interview with Las Vegas’ KTNV in 2016, Wynn Resorts Chief Executive Steve Wynn said, ”Las Vegas is a target city. We have hardened the target at the Wynn.”